Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Things to have on hand for a miscarriage

I'm going to list things that I think are important to have on hand while you're waiting to miscarry.

  • Pads. The largest ones available. I got 3 packages. One pack of "maximum strength" always with wings, one package of "ultra thin maximum strength", and one package of always overnight with wings. I think the "wings" are important - no silly girls, not so you can fly away from this, but so your pretty panties don't get ruined with blood. I also had a package of pantyliners for the light spotting before the m/c began. I did not like to walk around with a Alaska sized pad while I wasn't bleeding. The maximum strength pads are more absorbent than the overnight ones.

  • Vitamins. I'm sure most of you have these on hand, but they're very important to take while you're m/cing. One thing I was thinking was to stop taking them prior to the m/c, just in case any folic acid or vit-c was preventing the miscarriage.

  • Gatorade. You're going to lose blood. It's important to have plenty to drink while you're m/cing. I drank water, but I got a LOT of Gatorade, simply for the electrolytes, and carbs. Water is good if you don't want to get Gatorade, just make sure do drink a LOT.

  • Heating pad -- They're wonderful while you're cramping and/or having contractions. It really did help when my back was in pain.

  • SUPPORT. Make sure the day you m/c you have someone around you. Having a natural m/c is dangerous to do alone. I'm so glad that my DH was here and it happened on a Saturday.

  • T.P - toilet paper. Make sure you have a lot at home. I noticed I went through 2 rolls of T.P since my M/C. This may sound silly "make sure you have T.P", but we all know you can run out, and you don't want to not have any while you're wiping many times. I'm sure it didn't help that I drank a ton of Gatorade and I was going pee 100x either.

  • Advil and OR your Rx'd pain meds. -- This is a MUST!!! My Dr. gave me Percocet, but I didn't want to take it. I'm just nervous to take a narcotic, I think because so many people say how they got sick from it, ect. The last thing I wanted to be doing was puking while I was m/c'ing. I took 4 advil -- which was 800mg. The equivalent to RX strength. It did take the edge off the cramps, but not the contractions. It didn't even touch those.

  • Thermometer -- Make sure you have it close to you at all times during m/c. I made sure to take my temp before the m/c, during, and several times since. Since we are at about a 4-10% rate for infection, this is one of the first signs and it is essential for you to take your temp.

  • Foods with high iron. Chili is an excellent source for this. Wendy's sells a great sized cheap chili that isn't that bad, and has a lot of iron in it. Beans are great for this. Some women can bleed quite heavy during the m/c and you really should keep that iron as high as you can.

  • Dr's phone # written down somewhere. If there was a need for your S/O to call for whatever reason, it would be good to have written down.

  • Things that help....
  • Cold rags -- It felt good (for whatever reason) to have a very cold washrag for my forehead.

There are more, but I'll stop here for now and update as I remember.

xoxo,

me

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page